Sunday, June 1, 2014

Baby steps at the Organic Farm

The work has been tough for this city girl.  There is no more manicure, pedicures or shopping at Whole Foods on a whim here.  The closest Costco or Whole Foods is 65 miles away.  So we make every trip count.  I love this life.  No more sirens running all night in the city, fighting for a parking space on the street, sitting in traffic on the 405 at 4:05... Nope I don't miss it what so ever !!!

Our chicks are growing by leaps and bounds.  They will be free ranging here soon.



This is a Barred Rock chick hanging on the roosting perch.  


The Turkey eggs began hatching night before last so I spent most of the night up being a mid-wife to these little stinkers.  They were so cute.  We started off with 5 eggs ready to hatch.  At one point 4 hatched and we were waiting for number 5 when on an hourly check we found one chick had passed away leaving 3 and the one in the egg couldn't get out and died as well.  


                                    We now have 3 and are happy with them.  

This is how they will look when fully grown.  



After many calls and lots of internet searching I was able to locate a Non GMO, no soy, no corn chicken feed custom mixed by an Amish farm.  I am over the moon having found this.  With my corn allergy this means I can eat eggs without getting sick !!!  


Tom and I are having a great time on this journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment